- Equal amounts of onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes (optional)
- Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
How to make
- Finely chop the onions, carrots, celery & tomatoes, the finer you chop them, the tastier the dish.
- Heat a small amount of Papa Vince EVOO in a skillet then toss in the onions.
- When they’re translucent and smell good enough to make you hungry, add in the carrots and celery.
- Cook and stir occasionally for another 5 minutes and then add the tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are soft and starting to turn golden. This can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes, depending on how much color you want.
- Add chicken, meat or fish to the soffritto and cook until the meat is well done. You can also add other vegetables or rice. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days and add the soffritto as a topping to eggs, pasta and other dishes!
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Serves: 2 people
Soffritto is commonly used in Italian cooking as a flavor base for all kinds of dishes including soups, stocks & sauces. It is the simple combination of celery, onions and carrots. These three ingredients are sauteed slowly together in olive oil in order to release their flavors. You can also make extra batches of the soffritto and store it.