- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon PAPA VINCE extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can (24 to 28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or sugar
- 9 to 10 cups zucchini “zoodles” (see note)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 basil springs, for garnish (optional)
How to make
- Put the onion, olive oil and tamari in a large skillet. Cover and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and crushed red
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are starting to become golden around the edges.
- Add the tomatoes and maple syrup.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 40 to 45 minutes or until the sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the “zoodles,” and using tongs, gently incorporate the “zoodles” into the sauce.
- Cover and cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the “zoodles” are cooked but still al dente.
- Add the chopped basil and cook for 30 seconds. Divide onto four dinner plates.
- Decorate each with a sprig of basil and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Serves: 4 people
To make zucchini “noodles” (zoodles) start with 2 to 4 medium to large zucchini.
Using the PEELER shave the zucchini into long spaghetti-like strands or “zoodles.”
Recipe from Vegan For Everyone by Laura Theodore. Published by Scribe Publishing Company, ©2020. Reprinted by permission.