- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 oranges
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Papa Vince Sea Salt
- Papa Vince Moscato Vinegar
- Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
How to make
- Clean the fennel & slice thinly using a mandolin. You can use the mandolin on the Papa Vince peeler.
- Cut the oranges into cubes.
- Mix the fennel & the orange together and then add in the raisins, pumpkin seeds & pine nuts. The Italians don't measure their ingredients & you may prefer to use more or less of these ingredients.
- Add Papa Vince Sea Salt (according to taste).
- Season with Papa Vince Moscato Vinegar (start with a small amount, taste & add more if necessary).
- Add a generous portion of Papa Vince EVOO and mix all the ingredients together. The dish is ready to be enjoyed!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4-6 people
Wild fennel grows plentifully in Sicily & maybe that's why this is a popular recipe. Sicilians like to eat fennel at the end of a meal to aid digestion and when paired with tangy orange, it makes a light & refreshing salad, half fruit, half vegetable!
We have our own version of this salad but we met Genni in Messina and she served it to us with pine nuts, raisins and pumpkin seeds which add some crunch & extra nutritional benefits. It's definitely a recipe to try over the summer season!
You have to watch Vitina & Genni in the video, they are so excited to be in the kitchen!!! Genni has been cooking since she was a young girl, she owned her own restaurant & she has a professional cooking tip to share with Vitina, it's a Papa Vince kitchen tip!