Vegan Rice and Bean Salad
Mediterranean / Vegan Diet
- 2 ½ cups cooked long grain brown rice
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1¼ cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup diced celery, with leaves
- ½ cup diced sweet red or orange pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup diced purple cabbage
- 6 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 large fresh sage leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more as needed
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon PAPA VINCE extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon PAPA VINCE sea salt, plus more as needed
- Several grinds freshly ground pepper, plus more as needed
How to make
- Put all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and stir with a large spoon to combine.
- Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and briskly whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to coat.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, if desired, and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Sprinkle paprika over the top.
- To serve, divide in to four to six pasta “style” serving bowls and garnish with parsley sprigs and a drizzle of PAPA VINCE extra-virgin lemon olive oil.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Serves: 4-6 people
Leftover rice rejoice! This is the perfect way to incorporate cooked brown rice into a super sassy summer salad. The chickpeas provide a pop of protein, while a rainbow of veggies add vibrant color and tantalizing texture. For entertaining purposes, you can make this salad well ahead of time and refrigerate until serving – so it’s an ideal star for serving at a warm weather get-together!
Recipe from Vegan For Everyone by Laura Theodore. Published by Scribe Publishing Company, ©2020. Reprinted by permission.