- 3½ cups cubed Japanese or baby Italian eggplant (cut into 1 to 1½-inch slices, see note)
- 3 cups chopped zucchini (1 to 1½-inch cubes)
- 2½ cups seeded and sliced red (or orange) mini sweet peppers or sweet bell peppers
- ½ large sweet onion, diced
- 1 can (14 to 16 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons PAPA VINCE extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put all of the ingredients into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish with tight fitting lid.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour or until veggies are soft and casserole is bubbling (see note).
- Let cool 10 minutes. Taste and add more sea salt to taste.
- Spoon into shallow bowls and serve.
- I suggest setting the casserole dish on a baking pan while it cooks, in case any of the juices spill over while baking, to keep the oven clean!
- I like to use either a Japanese (Asian eggplant) or baby Italian eggplant in this recipe. Both varieties are thinner, with a more delicate skin than regular, larger eggplants, and the flesh is sweeter. If you are using a large eggplant, scoop out the brown seeds with a grapefruit spoon or sturdy teaspoon before cutting it into 1- to 1½-inch cubes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Serves: 4 people
Recipe from Vegan For Everyone by Laura Theodore. Published by Scribe Publishing Company, ©2020. Reprinted by permission.