- 1 lb (1 package) of Papa Vince Busiate Pasta
- 6 large vine ripened tomatoes
- 2-6 cloves of garlic or more, depending on your taste
- Fresh basil leaves
- Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Papa Vince Sea Salt
How to make
- Put a large pot of water to boil to make the pasta.
- Put another pot of water to boil for the tomatoes.
- Once the water boils put the tomatoes in there for 5 minutes until the skins begin to crack.
- Use a pestle & mortar to crush the garlic with some Papa Vince Sea Salt.
- Use 1-2 teaspoons of salt depending on taste and as much garlic as you’d like. We use more because we love our garlic!
- Add some fresh basil leaves and keep grinding.
- When the tomatoes are ready, take them out of the pot & peel their skins.
- Add to the pestle & mortar and crush the tomatoes. If necessary pour the tomato mix to a larger bowl if you need more space to crush the tomatoes.
- Add lots of Papa Vince EVOO to the tomato sauce.
- When the water boils for the pasta, add some Sea Salt and then add the pasta.
- Leave it to cook for 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked ‘al dente’.
- Add a cup of cold water to stop it from cooking further.
- Drain the water and mix some of the tomato sauce with the pasta.
- Serve more tomato sauce on top.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 5-6 people
In English this recipe's name is Country Pasta. It's a simple recipe that my mom grew up eating in Sicily, especially at harvest time when they would eat outdoors.
The tasty sauce is made with fresh tomatoes and raw garlic which is so good for your health. Did you know that consuming raw garlic has been linked to reducing the risk of 4 of the major causes of death worldwide? It can help to control blood high pressure, to regulate blood sugar levels, encourage circulation and has has been recognized for its potential anti cancer properties. That's not to mention that it can also help fight against the common cold and other infections. These are great reasons to give this recipe a try and you can enjoy it as part of the Mediterranean Diet.
This is how the Sicilians love to eat their pasta! Watch how we do it in the video!