Summer Lasagna with Cashew Ricotta
Lasagna Noodles Ingredients
- 2 large and long yellow summer squash
Meaty Layer Ingredients
- 3 slices vegan whole-grain bread (use gluten-free variety for a gluten-free option)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup peeled and grated raw beets
Cashew-Bean Cheese Layer Ingredients
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup water
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the squash lasagna “noodles,” slice each squash lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick strips using a very sharp knife.
- To make the “meaty” layer, put the bread, Italian seasoning and ¼ teaspoon sea salt into a blender and process into coarse crumbs. Transfer the crumb mixture to a medium-sized bowl.
- Put the walnuts and sunflower seeds in the blender and process into coarse crumbs.
- Add the walnuts to the bread crumbs and stir to incorporate.
- Add the grated beets and stir to combine.
- To make the cashew cheese, put the white beans, basil, garlic powder and sea salt in a medium-sized bowl and mash with a potato masher or large fork until combined.
- Put the cashews and 1/3cup water in a blender and process until smooth, adding a bit more water if needed, until the cashews look like thick whipped cream.
- Add the cashew mixture to the white beans and mash to achieve a “ricotta cheese-like” consistency.
- Spread 2/3 cup marinara sauce evenly in the bottom of a 9- x 12-inch or similarly sized casserole dish. Arrange one-third of the squash “noodles” over the sauce.
- Spread the beet mixture over the squash in an even layer. Spread 2/3 cup of the marinara sauce over the beet mixture.
- Arrange one-third of the squash “noodles” over the beet mixture. Spread the cashew cheese over the squash in an even layer.
- Cut the remaining squash “lasagna noodles” into strips by slicing them lengthwise into long strips.
- Arrange the squash strips in a criss-cross pattern over the cashew cheese layer (see photo above).
- Spoon about 1 heaping tablespoon of marinara sauce in between the squash strips.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chopped basil over the top.
- Tent with foil and bake 45 to 50 minutes or until bubbling and squash is soft.
- Uncover and bake 5 to 7 minutes more to brown the top slightly.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Garnish with more fresh chopped basil and serve.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Serves: 4-6 people
Recipe from Vegan For Everyone by Laura Theodore. Published by Scribe Publishing Company, ©2020. Reprinted by permission.