I got this recipe from Vani Hari, theFoodBabe on Instagram and it became one of my go to recipes this winter. It's warm and comforting, keeps you satisfied and it's so simple to make.
Serves 4 persons
1 lb ground turkey breast
3 stalks celery, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth (home made or store bought)
2 cups filtered water
1 bay leaf
2 cups of kale, chopped
Papa Vince Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Papa Vince Sea Salt
1. Heat the EVOO in a pot over medium heat. Add the turkey and cook 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned.
2. Add the celery, carrots, onion, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 more minutes until the vegetables are tender.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Increase the heat and add the chicken broth, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the bay leaf and add the kale 5 minutes before serving.
6. Serve with a drizzle of EVOO on top, it enhances the flavor and gives you a helping of healthy fats for the day!
If you have any leftovers, it tastes even better warmed up the next day.
This is a typical dish from Messina which incorporates so many of the fresh ingredients of Sicilian cuisine. Recipes in Sicily vary so much by cities and regions and Vitina told me that despite visiting her family in Sicily so many times, this was the first time she ever experienced this dish. Her family is from the Eastern side and the food is different! This is a very popular recipe and is a creative way to make an eggplant spaghetti sandwich covered in rich tomato sauce, cheese and fresh basil.