This is Chef Federico's recipe from Rome. It's a simple dish with fresh ingredients which is tasty and healthy at the same time. Make sure you watch Chef Federico on the video for some tips on how to make it taste especially delicious!
Prep Time and Ready: 30 minutes
1. Fill a pot with water and heat to boiling, ready to make the pasta.
2. Peel the eggplant using our Papa Vince Peeler. If you like the taste of the skin, you can leave it on, it's just personal preference.
3. Chop the tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini into small pieces.
4. Warm a frying pan on the stove using a medium heat and then add Extra Virgin Olive oil to warm gently before adding other ingredients.
5. Add the zucchini to the frying pan and saute in the EVOO until it's starting to turn golden, then add the eggplant and the garlic. Chef Federico just adds the whole garlic clove.
6. Add the Sea Salt to the pan, a little at first, you can always add more later. Finally add the tomatoes and stir all the ingredients together. Continue to saute until the eggplant is soft.
7. Tear the fresh basil into pieces and add to the pot. The sauce is now ready. Make sure you turn it to a low heat while waiting for your pasta to be ready, we always eat it 'al dente'. You can also add some water from the pasta to the vegetables to stop it from drying out.
8. When everything is ready, toss the vegetables into the pasta and mix thoroughly. Finish with some EVOO on the top ... just like the Italians!
Make sure you watch Chef Federico in the video below & enjoy!!
This is a typical dish from Messina which incorporates so many of the fresh ingredients of Sicilian cuisine. Recipes in Sicily vary so much by cities and regions and Vitina told me that despite visiting her family in Sicily so many times, this was the first time she ever experienced this dish. Her family is from the Eastern side and the food is different! This is a very popular recipe and is a creative way to make an eggplant spaghetti sandwich covered in rich tomato sauce, cheese and fresh basil.