Papa used to love grilled eggplants. In fact, eggplants are the most beloved summer vegetable in Sicily because it may be grilled in almost any form. Below is Papa's favorite way of grilling eggplants. Enjoy it!
(1) Stem the eggplant.
(2) Peel the Eggplant
(3) Cut eggplant into long thick slices, halves or rounds, about 1/2 inch thick. Thick slices take direct heat of the grill well. (4) Salt slices more than lightly and let drain for at least an hour. This step is very important since salt removes the bitterness.
(5) Rinse salt off of the eggplant.
(6) Mix Papa Vince EVOO with Parsley Pesto.
(7) Baste both side of each slice well with the Parsley Pesto Oil mix.
(8) Let the slices absorb the oil mix for 30 minutes.
(9) Grill until soft.
This is a typical dish from Messina which incorporates so many of the fresh ingredients of Sicilian cuisine. Recipes in Sicily vary so much by cities and regions and Vitina told me that despite visiting her family in Sicily so many times, this was the first time she ever experienced this dish. Her family is from the Eastern side and the food is different! This is a very popular recipe and is a creative way to make an eggplant spaghetti sandwich covered in rich tomato sauce, cheese and fresh basil.